Sunday 17 March 2013

Mourning

My grandmother moved out of her marital home this weekend.
The house was for sale from before my grandfather died, but a few weeks ago, we found a buyer.

We said she could stay in the house for as long as she lived, but she wanted to sell anyway. She had to many memories and she couldn't cope being alone. For the age of 82, she is quite healthy and active, so she wanted to move to the city where there's people, shops nearby,...
It totally makes sense, because the house and the yard (at the Demer, from my previous blog posts) is too big for her, there are no shops nearby and she can't drive a car and has to take the bus to get around, but my heart breaks when I'm thinking about it. It's weird that someone else will be living in a house where I grew up in, where there's so many memories.

I found it hard and awkward to visit her today in her new apartment. They had a dog, but she decided to give her away to the breeder where they had her from. My grandparents and the breeder were good friends, so it was no problem to give the old dog a shelter for her last months/years. My grandmother didn't want to take her with, because she barks to loud when she's out and so the neighbours would complain. 
I saw her sitting there, in the same chair, but in another environment and without her beloved dog. It broke my heart! It was so weird! It made the death of my grandfather so very real for a moment. In the old house it felt like he was just in the next room and that he would walk in seconds later.
It's her new beginning and she deserves this. She took good care of my granddad when he was ill and she's happy she can take this step forward. I have to open myself up for this new situation and say goodbye to the old house. It will be a new chapter for me too, but I will never ever forget the lovely times!

x L.

No comments:

Post a Comment