Wednesday 21 August 2013

Pin Up Pup

An Lemmens, a damn sexy Belgian television show host, has a heart for animals!
Just like me, she shares the opinion that too much animals wind up at a shelter.
These poor animals were abused, unwanted and/or not chipped so the owner couldn't be traced. 
Many people who get a pet still don't choose a shelter animal and I wonder why. Why pay hundreds (sometimes thousands) of euros when you can give a wonderful dog or cat from the shelter a second life for less money? 
Ann came up with the idea to draw the attention to these animals by posing with them in retro style. Her initiative is called 'Pin Up Pup' and the publicity is really working, because the animals and the shelters she poses with get a lot of adoption attention. 


We had a Boxer 'Delphy' when I grew up and still have some great memories left of her. My parents told me she helped me to learn how to walk by pushing her nose under my butt when I tried to stand up and walk. Funny story. She was my best friend. Unfortunately she got cancer (typically for this breed) and we had to put her down. I will never forget the day my parents dropped me off at my grandparents to drive to the vet. My mom came back to get us and was crying. 
I always thought our family wasn't complete without a dog, but my dad didn't want one anymore. I eventually gave up trying to convince him. 

About 3 years ago I had to take a 2 day internship at a shelter. On my second (and last day) at the shelter I met 'Boy'. He was found close to the freeway the day I began to work there. He was such a cute and happy dog and he totally stole my heart. He was looking kind of funny too. We think he's a mix between a Dachshund and a Rottweiler. 
I immediately informed my family about my new boyfriend and I convinced my mom and sister to come and take a look. I knew they couldn't resist. My mom was a little skeptic at first, but she said I could have him if my dad said yes. Challenge accepted!
Surprisingly my dad came to the shelter without nagging and he said: "Ok, I give up, he's yours!". I started to cry, because I was finally getting a dog! I still don't believe he said yes!
We had to wait for 2 weeks before we could take him home with us, because the rightful owner should be given the time to claim the dog. I went to the shelter every day to walk him and counted the days we could take him home. 
We changed his name to 'Fré' and I think he's really happy with us. My mom really spoils him (too much sometimes, because he has a hard time listening to our commands).

So, you see, shelter dogs deserve a second chance!
If you think about getting a dog, I suppose you have good intentions. Choose a shelter dog, don't you think they will be better off with you than in a small cage?

No comments:

Post a Comment