Tuesday 29 January 2013

My Orange Colleagues

I had to go to our headquarters in The Netherlands today. 
My Dutch colleagues are so funny. I almost peed in my pants one time. Although our countries are next to each other and we all speak Dutch, our culture and vocabulary is totally different. It intrigues me. They use words and sayings that are so weird and they clearly feel the same way about us Belgians. If you go there, make sure you bring a Kleenex to wipe your tears from laughing.
I also love how they just tell you things straight. They don't beat around the bush. They tell you when you're wrong, like everyone, but they also tell you when you're right. When I was in school, I was just like that, but it was not much appreciated. They always told me to be more reserved, to always weigh my words. I simply don't have the time to weigh every word, but when I got my job, I had to. You can't say to your boss or colleagues that you don't like what they are doing and that you can do it a whole lot better or that they simply need to shut up and get on with it. My Dutch colleagues don't see the problem with that, so I feel very comfortable around them! I can just be myself and it's very much appreciated. I didn't hear this, they told me :-)

x L.

No comments:

Post a Comment