Friday 13 September 2013

Amsterdam

We went for a trip to Amsterdam yesterday.
My boyfriend had tickets to a concert of Good Riddance so we went for a day out. 
He had a few stops planned out. He wanted to go and take a look at the fixies from Pristine and he wanted to go to Cut Throat Barber to trim his 'beard' and cut his hair in a retro way. 
The barber was a guy from New Zealand who's dad was Dutch, so he ended up in Amsterdam to open his shop. My boyfriend wanted to give him carte blanche, but I said he could go a little Ryan Gosling (jumjum). 
His beard wasn't hard work, James the barber just had to groom it and it looked a whoooole lot better and sexy. Now I have my own black haired Ryan in the house. Damn.

After the barber we went for some pancakes at Pancakes! Amsterdam and for a stroll around  De 9 Straatjes. A very nice and cozy neighborhood with small shops where I bought a nice black & white vest at By Fabrio for 35 euros. 
My boyfriend was looking for a shop where they had Haglöfs jackets and found one on the internet that was very nearby. At least, that's what he said. We had to go for a looooong walk to the 'suburbs' of the city. He didn't buy a thing at the shop, by the way. 
After our town walk, where I grew butt muscles like you wouldn't believe, we went for dinner at Royal Thai, nearby De Melkweg, where we needed to be for the concert. 
After the concert we went for a frozen yogurt at Frozz with some friends we went to the concert with. 

My picture of Amsterdam: A hip and fancy city, quite cozy with all the canals and little bridges and people are very friendly.
What I noticed though, was that Amsterdam is often dirty. Shopkeepers don't bother to clean their shop every day, many restaurants look quite old and dirty on the outside, you can already smell public lavatories from miles away and garbage bags are lying on the street, teared apart. If you can look past these little things and open up for the warmth Amsterdam gives you when you talk to the people you will see that it has a lot to offer.

I had a really fun day with my Ryan Gosling and I will certainly visit Amsterdam again.
As I told you before, I love The Netherlands, and there are many cities yet to explore. 
I'll keep you posted on my travel guide around The Netherlands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment